Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Time to Roll With the Changes

"So if you're tired of the same old story, oh, turn some pages. I'll be here when you are ready, to roll with the changes..." REO Speedwagon

Ya know, It's been awhile since my last post, and for a good reason. Last you all heard, I just bought wheels for the SOTR and N. Dallas Airstream was preparing to start work on my trailer. Unfortunately this was more of the same from North Dallas, and they never started working. A friend of mine paid them a visit and was told that they had planned to start at the END of August. Distraught, I called them to find out what the heck was going on. They denied ever saying this, and that they were starting in two weeks. This sounded all too familiar. For the past six months, N. Dallas had told me that they would be starting my project in two weeks.

After six months of unkept promises and the need to camp this summer, I reluctantly listed the SOTR for sale. It turns out that a rare trailer is still in demand. I received interest immediately from several parties, and within a week the SOTR was sold to a nice family just north of me in New Braunfels, TX.

So what now? Amy and I are tired of putting our trust into people and businesses that have failed miserably to deliver what they promise. We decided that we would no longer allow ourselves to do business with anyone that we were not completely sure was knowledgeable about rebuilding these pieces of Americana when it came to our next trailer. We discussed going NEW, but with the mass produced turds coming out of the factory having rotten floor within 3-5 years we just couldn't fathom this.

We have located a rebuilt (renovated) vintage Airstream from a reputable trailer shop, and it is completely ready to camp in. More details will be divulged later, but we feel that this trailer with minimal modification will be great for us. We aren't expected to take delivery until June, so there is a ton of anticipation on our part.

The fight to secure a loan for one of these trailers was easy, but the process of getting it approved was different. I spent over an hour on the phone with my bank as they went back and forth about the value of the trailer and such. I'm just happy that the loan has been approved and a check has been cut with the sellers name.

2 comments:

the byamcaravanner said...

Can't wait to hear the details!

Soldiermedic said...

Thanks Steve,

We are extremely excited about this trailer, and cannot wait to get this trailer in June!